Projectile Poops and More

I know I’m very lucky. Baby Bear is quite an easy baby, who loves to smile. Last night I went to bed at 10 and didn’t wake up until 4:45 a.m.! She was still asleep, but I woke her up to feed her anyway. She’s only 11 weeks and is still supposed to eat at least every 6 hours at night. Then, she went right back to sleep after that and slept until 8 a.m.

I’m so thankful that she’s such a great nighttime sleeper, because I really cannot function without good sleep. I’ve never been one to stay up all night cramming for an exam or writing a paper. I always figured that staying up all night to study for a test does more harm than good.

One thing that is a little difficult with Baby Bear is the frequency of diaper changes. Last night, I took her with me to a baby shower. I only stayed for about an hour, and I had to change her diaper three times! After three diaper changes, I figure it’s probably time to go home. They were all just pee diapers. Every time she pees while awake, she gets fussy and demands a diaper change. So I frequently change her diaper three or more times in an hour. Probably adds up to 15-20 diapers a day. This is expensive and quite exhausting. Many parents seem surprised by this, so I’m assuming that a lot of babies either don’t complain when they have a wet diaper, or just don’t pee as frequently. The upside is that I assume she will be potty trained at an early age. I’m hoping by age 2 — fingers crossed.

In her early weeks of life, we also had the occasional projectile poop during changing. Once I was changing her diaper and she let out a projectile poop that flew across the changing table and hit the door a few feet away. Wow! Quite impressive. Sometimes she also has fountains of pee while I’m changing her, that spray all over herself. I’m just glad Baby Bear is not a boy!

The best is when is when I’m changing her poopy diaper, then she pees all over the changing pad, and then spits up all over herself. The trifecta. She used to spit up frequently during changing. Now she doesn’t spit up as often, probably because her stomach is bigger, and I have also been more vigilant about burping her.

This is the life of a new mom. Cleaning up poop, pee and throw up 20 percent of the day, and breastfeeding the other 80 percent of the day. Reminding yourself to take time to shower, brush your teeth and eat three meals daily. But when I look at my beautiful little girl, it’s all worth it.

Advertisements
3 comments
  1. Alice said:

    I would like to confirm that Baby Bear is a projectile pooper, as I remember changing one of those poops about six weeks ago, when, in the middle of the night I leaned over her on the changing table to try and discern whether or not I had indeed cleared away all tiny fragments of curdled milky poo from her little bottom. A mistake! Examining her so closely in the weak light with my bleary eyes. However, I did manage — barely — to dodge the projectile, which flew far beyond anything I’ve ever witnessed before in a baby — even her mother as baby!

  2. ursulamarie said:

    Hahaha. She is very talented!

  3. Jerri said:

    i was never that lucky! But, I did have the baby boy pee issue LOL. I am glad to hear things are going so well Ursula!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: